Recipe by Bev
These cookies dissolve tenderly when immersed in coffee or cocoa. From Ladies Home Journal.
Top Review by SweetPnut
This was my first time making biscotti so I was nervous about the double baking process and whether or not they would crisp up nicely while retaining a great flavor. They exceeded my expectations. People I know that don't even like sweets have started a ritual of having these with morning coffee. Thanks Bev...delicious recipe!
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces white baking bar, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening (optional)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate or 2 ounces white baking bar, coarsely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a large cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder; beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs.
- Beat in as much flour as you can.
- Stir in any remaining flour.
- Stir in the 4 ounces white baking bar and the 3 ounces semisweet chocolate.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a 9-inch-long roll.
- Place rolls 4 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet; flatten rolls slightly to 2 inches wide.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean.
- Cool on cookie sheet on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Lay slice, one cut side down, on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake slices in a 325 degree F oven for 8 minutes.
- Turn slices over and bake 7 to 9 minutes more or until slices are dry and crisp.
- (Do not overbake.) Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
- If desired, in a heavy small saucepan combine the shortening and the 2 ounces semisweet chocolate or white baking bar.
- Cook and stir over low heat until melted and smooth.
- Drizzle over tops of biscotti.
- Let stand until set.
- Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
- Makes 32 biscotti.