Recipe by Nancy Van Ess
originally from "Better Homes and Gardens" magazine
Top Review by Madi
Great recipe but I will make some minor alterations in the cooking temperature and times next time I fix it. The ingredients don't need to be altered, in my opinion, just the cooking directions. I made two batches of biscotti, this recipe first and then a batch of lemon-ginger biscotti from the cookbook that came with my food processor. I followed the directions exactly on both batches and this batch was overcooked for the first baking which made it to dry and it was very crumbly when i was trying to cut it before the second baking. The other recipe didn't cook quite as long and at a lower temperature for the first baking and turned out beautiful--it looked like a professional had made it. The alterations I will make are as follows: For the first baking bake at 325 degrees for 22 minutes. Remove from the oven cool only for 10 minutes and then cut at 1/2" intervals (this made it easier to cut and each biscotti was perfectly shaped). Arrange slices on the baking sheet (cut sides exposed) and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until they begin to turn golden and crispy. I turned them once through that baking even though the recipe didn't require it. Enjoy!!!
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 4 ounces white baking bar, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on med. speed for 30 sec.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder & beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can.
- Using a spoon, stir in any remaining flour, white baking bar and semisweet chocolate. Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a 9" long log.
- Place log about 4" apart on prepared cookie sheet. Flatten logs slightly until about 2" thick.
- Bake logs in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 min. or until a wooden toothpick inserted neat the centers comes out clean.
- Cool on the cookie sheet set on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 1/2" thick slices.
- Lay slices, cut side down, on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake slices in a 325 degree oven for 8 min.
- Turn slices over.
- Bake 7-9 min. more or until slices are dry and crisp. (Do not overbake.)
- Transfer to wire racks and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.