Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
Kids love these, firm and chewy all rolled into one bar.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Cream butter or margarine with both sugars.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add vanilla and continue mixing.
- Sift together flour soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to creamed ingredients, mix well.
- Add oats and continue mixing.
- Add 1 cup chocolate chips until well blended.
- With a large spoon, drop six large mounds into prepared baking pan.
- Cut a piece of plastic wrap large enough to cover pan.
- Place plastic wrap over mounds and press with your hand to spread the dough evenly; cover the entire pan with dough.
- Remove plastic wrap.
- Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until light brown--Do not over bake.
- Remove pan from oven and turn off oven.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 to 2 cups chocolate chips over the baked bars.
- Return to cooling oven for 30 seconds.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Use a plastic spatula to spread the melted chocolate until it completely covers the bars.
- Place in refrigerator until chocolate is cold and firm.
- Cut into squares.
Followed the recipe exactly as written. Mine took a little longer to bake (about 20-25 mins) but ovens do vary so no fault of the recipe itself. They turned out really good. Delicious little bars. My family and I enjoyed them. Thank you so much for sharing!
Oh my gosh, these were incredible. So rich and yummy. My DH and his friends loved them, one of the guys even asked for the recipe. I used chocolate and peanut butter chips, and they were great. So easy to make too! Thank you for the great recipes. I have a feeling these will be replace my husband's favorite - chocolate oatmeal cookies.