Mmmmmmmmmm! Chocolate never tasted so good... and the best thing is this is a light cake! The secret ingredient is... zucchinis!! If you don't mention it - nobody will know!! If you don't have any zucchinis - you can replace by the same amount of carrots. The chocolate icing is delicious! Another wonderful cake from Rose Reisman.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed (1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups finely grated peeled zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
- 1⁄3 cup light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable spray.
- Make cake: in a food processor, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, oil, banana, vanilla and eggs; process the mixture until it is smooth. Add zucchini and pineapple; process the mixture just until everything is combined.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Stir the wet ingredients into dry ingredients until they are mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips and sour cream. Spoon the mixture into a prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let the pan cool on a wire rack.
- Make icing: with an electric mixer or food processor, cream together cream cheese, icing sugar, cocoa and milk. Spread mixture over the cooled cake.
Very tasty! You hardly taste even the banana....I might add a little more next time. I served mine without the frosting and found it to be just fine w/some powdered sugar. Also, I didn't bother with putting everything in a food processor (didn't have time). It was great just dumped together and mixed w/my mixer!
I love that this has such healthy ingredients for a cake! It was much more dense than I had anticipated (maybe I was thinking it would be lighter just because of the "light" in the name?). You can really taste the fruit in it (I used fresh pineapple). I had a hard time getting it to bake properly, I had to add 15 mins. Loved the frosting. Overall a good cake, with good ingredients.
mmmmmmmm... good - What can I say?! this cake is the best. It is moist, chocolatey, fudgey and so good - you can't even tell it's light it tastes so decadent and sinful! It tastes better than many other cakes that are loaded with butter and saturated fat - My family couldn't believe it had all that zucchini in it - this recipe is definitly a keeper. I'll make it again...and again and again! Thank you so much Redsie!