Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe by Ashley Berman was on the Ultimate Recipe Showdown: Cookies.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine, such as burgundy
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1 cup dried tart cherry
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl. In a bowl of an electric mixer, or with a handheld mixer, combine butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and wine and combine. Slowly in batches add the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the chocolate and cherries. On a nonstick cookie sheet, place a heaping tablespoon of dough for each cookie about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until tops are still soft looking but edges look firm.
I thought these were incredibly rich and yummy!! I used home-dried cherries, cut up and mini chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate. Quick to put together and very dark cookie. DH thought they were a little strange (but still ate plenty of them!). Thanks!
Made these for a get-together with friends and they went over great! They pleased those who wanted cookies AND those who wanted brownies LOL. I did make some changes to lighten them up a bit--1/2 c ww flour (b/c I ran out of white!), 1/3 c Smart Balance, 2/3 c each of the sugars, and 8 oz dark chocolate (that was the bag size). I soaked the cherries in the wine for about 10 minutes instead of adding them separatelly, and I highly recommend that! The flavor was great. Thanks so much for posting these--they are going to be a go-to recipe from now on!
These are definitely cookies I'd make again & again, & something I'd be willing to make over any holiday for others to enjoy! GREAT, really GREAT! Think this is probably the first time I've every added wine to a batch of cookies, but it worked well with these! Thanks so much for posting! [Made & reviewed as a recipenapped bonus tag in Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #14, Mar 08]