Yummy! Need I say more! Chocolate, white chocolate and cherries and all in one special cake...enjoy...it may become a favourite at your home also.
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 16 ounces cherry pie filling (sweet or sour, drained & chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 2 x 9" round pan.
- Combine sour cream, cocoa and water, blend well (set aside).
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into bowl (set aside).
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar on medium high speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Lower speed and add vanilla and almond extracts, add eggs one at a time, blend well.
- Add flour 3 times to butter mixture, alternating 2 times with milk mixture-- starting and ending with flour.
- Mix well.
- Pour batter evenly into both pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20- 25 minutes.
- Cool on racks for 20 minutes before removing pans.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat whipping cream with icing sugar until stiff but not dry.
- Place one cake on platter, frost with 1 cup whipped cream to 1/2" from edge of cake, sprinkle white chocolate chips on top of whipped cream and top with the chopped and drained cherries.
- Put 2nd cake overtop of first cake and frost the top and sides with the remaining whipped cream.
- You can add chocolate curls or marashino cherries to decorate if desired.