I got this idea from "The Spirited Vegetarian" but I added and changed alot of things so that it is not the same recipe. I use the "heels" of loaves of bread - just toss them in the freezer until you have about 6-8 for this recipe. I also HIGHLY recommend the Ghirardelli brand of chocolates for this recipe - the quality is well worth the extra $$. This makes a very rich but smaller dessert (8X8) so it is perfect for a smaller family or gathering. The cookbook also recommends pairing it with a sherry-flavored whipped cream but we like it better unadorned so that the sweet chocolate and the tart cherry flavors really shine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup cognac or 1/4 cup hot water
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups stale bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted almond (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Lightly coat an 8X8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3Microwave 4 oz milk chocolate on medium power until melted - let cool.
- 4Combine the dried cherries and cognac or hot water and microwave for 1 minute or until plumped slightly. Let stand until room temperature.
- 5In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light. Whisk in the cooled chocolate, half and half, vanilla, and cinnamon until smooth. Gently stir in remaining ingredients.
- 6Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and let stand for 30 minutes (You may refrigerate for up to 2 hrs if needed but I have also baked right away before with great results!)
- 7Bake for 40 mins or until set in middle.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Chocolate Cherry Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.2
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 60.9 mg
- Sodium 96.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: