Recipe by leithead
A beautifuly smooth and creamy recipe I pulled from another site. It comes from Bon Apetite magazine. I tried a few and liked this one the best. It's a bit fussy, but very worth the effort. (I don't like coffee, so I didn't include the coffee powder.) Try adding a teaspoon of mint or orange extract for an easy variation. You *must* let this chill overnight so that the flavor can settle.
Top Review by texasjj
This is an awesome recipe. I have used it for years. For the crust, I use graham crackers with an addition of a little sugar and a couple of tablespoons of cocoa instead of using chocolate wafers, which are not always easy to find. I also top mine with chocolate ganache.
- 1 (9 ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies or 1 (9 ounce) package graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional)
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Make crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Wrap outside of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with double thickness of foil. Spray bottom of pan with vegetable oil spray. Finely grind cookies in processor. Add butter and process until blended. Press mixture onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Make Filling:.
- Combine cream and coffee powder in medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until coffee powder dissolves. Reduce heat to low. Add chocolate; whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Cool 10 minutes.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Beat in cornstarch. Add sour cream and vanilla; beat well. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Whisk 1 cup cheese mixture into chocolate mixture. Return chocolate mixture to remaining cheese mixture; whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into crust. Place springform pan in large baking pan. Add enough hot water to baking pan to cone halfway up sides of springform pan. Bake cheesecake until softly set and slightly puffed around edges, about 1 hour. Turn off oven. Let cake stand in oven 45 minutes. Transfer springform pan t rack and cool. Cover; chill cake overnight.