1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
I saw this recipe on an Epicurious show on the Travel Channel. If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, you can make great use of it with this recipe. The coffee adds to the flavor without being overpowering. Yum. Just right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
For ganache frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F and grease 2- 10 inch cake pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper or parchment paper and grease paper.
- 2Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 3Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- 4In another large bowl with your Kitchenaid mixer and wire whisk, beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored about 3 minutes.
- 5Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well.
- 6Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. (Hint: Pour dry mixture onto a piece of grocery bag, roll into a funnel and add slowly into running batter).
- 7Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- 8Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- 9Make frosting:.
- 10Finely chop chocolate. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted.
- 11Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- 12Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency).
- 13Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides. Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Chocolate Cake With Ganache - Kitchenaid Mixer
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 810.9
- Calories from Fat 463
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.7 g
- Cholesterol 91.4 mg
- Sodium 548.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 55.3 g
- Protein 13.6 g