Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I saw this recipe on an Epicurious show on the Travel Channel. If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, you can make great use of it with this recipe. The coffee adds to the flavor without being overpowering. Yum. Just right.
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot brewed coffee
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
For ganache frosting
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 300°F and grease 2- 10 inch cake pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper or parchment paper and grease paper.
- Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another large bowl with your Kitchenaid mixer and wire whisk, beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well.
- Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. (Hint: Pour dry mixture onto a piece of grocery bag, roll into a funnel and add slowly into running batter).
- Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- Make frosting:.
- Finely chop chocolate. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted.
- Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency).
- Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides. Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.