Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Having two children with egg allergies poses a problem when they have parties at school. I found this recipe and have to say cannot tell it doesn't have eggs!
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar or 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°. Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt with fork in ungreased square pan, 8x8x2 inches. Or a round pan. Mix in remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Sprinkle chocolate chips over batter. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- *Do not use self-rising flour in this recipe.
- Note: Cake can be mixed in bowl if desired.
Verry good recipe! the cake came out really well. I like the idea of having the chocolate chips as a kind of frosting. <br/><br/>I made one modification to the recipe by flavouring the water with some (1tsp) of coffee..it worked well...
fantastic, i'm never using anything else
My family has been using this recipe since I was a little girl! It is totally fail-proof unless you accidentally omit an ingredient! The only time it ever came out wrong for us was when my daughter and her friend made it one night and forgot the sugar!!! Excellent recipe...we always called it "Crazy Quick Chocolate Cake". Excellent with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce!!