Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A recipe I found at Holl's Swiss Chocolatier site. Posting for ZWT Swiss region. Update: 7/31/11 - Wow!!! These are fantastic with such a rich and intense chocolate flavor. I couldn't find the 63% bittersweet chocolate, so I used Ghiradelli's 60% bittersweet. You don't need a big piece to satisfy that chocolate craving, a little goes a long way! For an over the top dessert, try it warm with vanilla ice cream.
- 10 ounces 63% swiss bittersweet baking chocolate (2 cups)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, diced (2 sticks)
- 2 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Line the bottom and up two sides with a single sheet of parchment paper, letting the paper overhang the two long sides of the pan by an inch or so.
- Place a large pot filled with an inch or two of water over low heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Combine the chocolate and diced butter in a stainless steel or glass bowl. Set the bowl over the pot. Stir occasionally until melted. Remove bowl from the top of the pot and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs just until the yolks and whites are blended. Whisk in the sugar and beat until the mixture is creamed together (slightly thickened and pale). Stir in the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- Pour the chocolate into the egg and sugar mixture, stir to blend well. Add the flour mixture in three additions, using a spatula to gently fold in each addition before adding the next.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and place in the center of the oven. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool completely before cutting. Use the parchment overhang to lift from pan.
An absolute winner of a recipe as far as we're concerned, & that comes from someone who has his own special recipe for chocolate brownies! Our chocoholic friends thank you & so do I! I'll be making these again for sure! The second ones we had were with a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt & a small drizzle of homemade caramel topping! Delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Intense delicious chocolate taste. I have been making my old standby brownie recipe for years, It was really fun to try a new recipe. Made for ZWT7.
Decadent and delicious! These brownies are simply amazing. A chocolate lover's delight. My family devoured them. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7 for the Switzerland Desserts Challenge for the Vivacious Violets.