Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Southern Living....I prefer to use Nestle's Semi-Sweet & White Chocolated Swirled morsels - tastes wonderful and makes the presentation more interesting. Enjoy!
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar or 2 cups Splenda granular
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup chopped toasted pecans, divided
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (or the Swirled chips, per above)
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (or milk, soured with 1 t. vinegar or lemon juice)
- 12 large marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a 13x9" baking pan.
- Melt the chocolate squares in a small saucepan on low heat, or in the microwave at 50% power at 30-second intervals until melted.
- Stir to ensure no lumps remain and chocolate is smooth.
- Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition.
- Add in the melted chocolate, also beating just until fully blended.
- Add flour and salt, again beating at low speed until just blended.
- Stir in vanilla, 1/2 cup pecans and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining pecans and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Stir in remaining ingredients, cooking over medium heat for 20-25 minutes, or until candy thermometer reachs 234 degrees.
- Remove from heat and pour into large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer for 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens and begins to lose its gloss. Spread evenly over brownies, and sprinkle additional 1/4 c. of chocolate chips on top.