Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have never liked bread pudding because I can't stand the texture of soggy bread. But, since my husband loves it, I went on a mission to find bread pudding that wasn't soggy and I found the most delicious recipe in the Good Housekeeping magazine. It is heavenly!
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 whole milk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces day-old French bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In 2 quart saucepan, heat cream, sugar and milk over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add chopped chocolate, stirring with wire whisk until mixture is smooth and chocolate melts completely. Gradually whisk in eggs and vanilla until well combined.
- Place bread in shallow 1-1/2 quart or 8" by 8" glass or ceramic baking dish. Pour chocolate mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes, sitrring ocasionally.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of bread mixture. Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Cool 10 minutes to serve warm, or cover and refrigerate to serve cold later. Serve with whipped cream if you like.
I found it extremely dry; had to add a lot more milk than the recipe called for. But otherwise it was OK
Delicious. Used French bread Basic Machine French Bread, 85% Lindt dark chocolate, and skipped the optional chocolate chips. Served warm with icecream, and it was equally delicious cold the next day. Everyone had three helpings!!! Thanks!
Woo Hoo is this rich!! It is definitely not soggy and it is definitly chocolate! I couldn't get French bread so I used vienna. I don't think it could be too different in the end result. I also didn't have whole milk but 1% seemed to do nicely. I had never had bread pudding before so I can't compare it but this stuff is very good. Even my youngest and pickiest child enjoyed it warm from the oven. I took some to work today and ate it at room temp and it is still wonderful.