Recipe by Irish Rose
I have never liked bread pudding because I can't stand the texture of soggy bread. But, since my husband loves it, I went on a mission to find bread pudding that wasn't soggy and I found the most delicious recipe in the Good Housekeeping magazine. It is heavenly!
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 whole milk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces day-old French bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In 2 quart saucepan, heat cream, sugar and milk over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add chopped chocolate, stirring with wire whisk until mixture is smooth and chocolate melts completely. Gradually whisk in eggs and vanilla until well combined.
- Place bread in shallow 1-1/2 quart or 8" by 8" glass or ceramic baking dish. Pour chocolate mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes, sitrring ocasionally.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of bread mixture. Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Cool 10 minutes to serve warm, or cover and refrigerate to serve cold later. Serve with whipped cream if you like.