Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a really quick and easy recipe to whip up. Tip: if you have too many ripe bananas to eat, peel and freeze them. That way you'll always have them on hand to make this recipe (or any recipe that calls for mashed banana).
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chips or 3⁄4 cup regular chocolate chips
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Add milk, banana, butter, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Beat with a fork till well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased 9-inch square cake pan.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.
I'm giving this five stars because it's a great basic recipe. I read all the reviews prior to my first attempt...so I added one egg to the mix to help avoid the dryness complaint. I also used two small bananas-not bothering to measure but I'm sure it was a bit more than the 1/2 C. called for. I think the most significant switch I made was using buttermilk instead of regular milk! (This also allowed me to slightly decrease the baking soda.) I used an 8x8 pan and the taste and texture of this cake was phenomenal! (I omitted the lemon juice, too) I wish I had more "dying" bananas so I could make it again right now!
Delicious! I was looking for a chocolate version of a banana treat and found this. I didn't measure the banana, but just used two large ripe bananas. It turned out moist and fluffy! I'll try applesauce next time to try to make it a little healthier ;)
Nice cake! Reminds me of my Chocolate Zucchini Cake (Chocolate Zucchini Cake), but with bananas instead of zucchini. Nice alternative to making banana bread every time you have bananas to use up. I used spelt flour and almond milk to suit our dietary needs and it turned out fine and very moist. Next time I may try subbing the applesauce for the butter as others suggested. I did only bake this for 30 minutes and it was done in that time.
NOTE: Today I used applesauce instead of the butter and it worked out well. I also chose to make it into mini muffins this time. I baked them at 350 for about 8 minutes. I got about 5 dozen mini muffins.