Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my favorite Passover Desert! So yummy and decadent.
Make and share this Double Chocolate Almond Torte recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 (12 ounce) bag bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄3 cup almond liqueur or 1⁄3 cup cold brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 eggs
For the Ganache
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, 4 oz
- toasted sliced almonds
- fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325. Coat a 9 x 2 inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper cut to fit into bottom of pan; coat with nonstick spray.
- Bring water and sugar for the torte to a boil in a pan to dissolve sugar; remove from heat. Add butter, 1 bag of chocolate chips, espresso powder, and salt. Let sit 2 minutes, then stir until smooth. Whisk in liqueur and almond extract.
- Whisk eggs until whites and yolks are mixed, then whisk into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan,and place cake pan inside a roasting pan. Add warm water to roasting pan halfway up the outside of the cake pan. Bake torte until puffed and soft to the touch, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove roasting pan from oven, then remove the cake pan to a cooling rack. Let cool 1 hour.
- Run a paring knife around inside of the cake pan; invert onto a platter. Peel off parchment; cool completely or chill until ready to serve. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Before serving, heat cream for the ganache in a microwave safe measuring cup in a microwave on high until boiling, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips and let sit 2 minutes, then stir until smooth. Cool Ganache 2 to 3 minutes, then spread over top and down the sides of torte. Sprinkle top with almonds. Dip a knife into hot water and wipe dry for each slice. Serve cake with strawberries.
- Chill any leftover cake.