Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Dried fruit provides rich, concentrated cherry flavor, a contrast to the tart frozen cherries. The white, creamy chocolate topping drizzles the pies with sweetness. Recipe is from Cooking Light. Prep time does not inlude chilling and freezing times.
- 1 cup dried sweet cherries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (16 ounce) bagfrozen sour cherries, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sweet Cream Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chilled reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄4 cup white chocolate chips
- To make the cream cheese dough, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor; pulse 3 times or until combined.
- Add chilled butter, cream cheese, and cider vinegar; pulse 4 times.
- Add ice water through food chute, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing just until combined (do not form a ball).
- (Mixture may appear crumbly but will stick together when pressed between fingers.).
- Place half of dough into a 1-cup measuring cup, pressing to compact dough.
- Remove dough from cup, and form into a ball.
- Divide ball into 6 equal portions.
- Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
- Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- Place each dough portion between 2 sheets of plastic wrap.
- Roll each dough portion, still covered, into a 5-inch circle; chill until ready to use.
- To make the filling, combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat 7 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter, stirring until butter melts.
- Stir in cornstarch and vanilla.
- Cool slightly.
- To prepare pies, working with 1 sweet cream cheese dough circle at a time, remove plastic wrap from dough.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons cherry mixture into center of circle.
- Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork or fingers to seal. Place pie on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Repeat procedure with remaining Sweet Cream Cheese Dough circles and remaining cherry mixture.
- Freeze 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Remove pies from freezer.
- Pierce top of each pie once with a fork.
- Place baking sheet on bottom rack in oven.
- Bake at 425° for 19 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and filling is bubbly.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place chocolate chips in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; microwave at high 1 minute or until chips are soft.
- Knead bag until smooth.
- Snip a tiny hole in corner of bag; drizzle chocolate over cooled pies.