Recipe by Nonnie4Two
I found this on the web years ago, but unfortunately, I don't remember where. This has a ketchup glaze, but if you reduce the amount of ketchup and increase the brown mustard (which is what I do) you can't tell. This is excellent, and really doesn't have a lot of filler. I also increase the cheese. Sometimes I make this in my muffin tins. I generally serve this with mashed potatoes and dinner rolls, and my two picky sons both like it.
Top Review by Nif
Absolutely DELICIOUS!! I loved everything about this. It is very tender and moist and the flavour is excellent. I made this as listed, using lean ground beef and low fat mozzarella. I prepared this and froze it in a loaf pan, and defrosted it in the fridge for a couple days before I needed it. Very convenient! Made for my adopted chef for Fall PAC 2009. Thanks! :)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard, divided
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium high heat.
- Add onion.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until slightly soft, about 3 minutes.
- Mix onion, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 Tbsp mustard, mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and egg in a large bowl.
- Add beef, mix lightly.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Press beef mixture into pan.
- Combine remaining ketchup and mustard in a small bowl.
- Spread over top of meat loaf.
- Bake meat loaf until set and cooked through, about 55 minutes.