From Woman's Day This gooey, satisfying mac and cheese recipe uses mostly pantry staples and on-hand items, and also manages to sneak in a healthy serving of leafy greens - what's not to love?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces mezze rigatoni pasta
- 12 ounces swiss chard, stems removed and leaves torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups wole milk
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces muenster cheese or 4 ounces gruyere, grated
- 1Cook pasta according to package directions, adding chard during last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain pasta and chard and return to the pot.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle flour over onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes; whisk in milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4Add Cheddar and 1/2 cup of Muenster cheese and cook, stirring, until melted. Add pasta and chard and toss to combine.
- 5Heat broiler. Transfer mixture to a 1 1/2-quart broiler-proof baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Muenster and broil until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6TIPS & TECHNIQUES:.
- 7EASY UPGRADE: To turn up the flavor, use Gruyere instead of Muenster and stir 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard in along with the milk.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double-Cheese Macaroni and Greens
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.8
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 139.5 mg
- Sodium 593.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 30.5 g