Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Woman's Day This gooey, satisfying mac and cheese recipe uses mostly pantry staples and on-hand items, and also manages to sneak in a healthy serving of leafy greens - what's not to love?
- 12 ounces mezze rigatoni pasta
- 12 ounces swiss chard, stems removed and leaves torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups wole milk
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces muenster cheese or 4 ounces gruyere, grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding chard during last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain pasta and chard and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes; whisk in milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add Cheddar and 1/2 cup of Muenster cheese and cook, stirring, until melted. Add pasta and chard and toss to combine.
- Heat broiler. Transfer mixture to a 1 1/2-quart broiler-proof baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Muenster and broil until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- TIPS & TECHNIQUES:.
- EASY UPGRADE: To turn up the flavor, use Gruyere instead of Muenster and stir 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard in along with the milk.