Recipe by looneytunesfan
I haven't found anyone, child or adult, who doesn't love this ooey, gooey macaroni and cheese
Top Review by aloha808
We had this as a side dish on Christmas then ate it for several more days! It's rich and creamy and very tasty and we all agreed the topping was a bit too much. Next time, I will make the topping with Panko instead of Italian breadcrumbs and reduce the amount by at least half, to make a sprinkling of topping instead of a thick coating. I also lightened up the calories and fat content by using Lowfat Cottage Cheese and Fat Free Half & Half without sacrificng any flavor or texture -- delicious!
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.