Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I am very proud of this recipe, my husband and I love it.
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef broth, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- French bread, toasted
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese or 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sauté onion in butter in Dutch oven until tender. Blend in flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add chicken broth, beef broth, water, and wine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add pepper.
- place 8 ovenproof serving bowls on a baking sheet. Place 1 bread slice in each bowl, ladle soup over bread. Top with 1 cheese slice; sprinkle with parmesan. Broil 8 inches from heat until cheese melts.
I too make french onion soup and actually have put on way too much cheese sometimes on purpose. Next time you make instead of chicken stock try a pkg of lipton uonion soup mix. It's a cheat but it works and red wine gives a much deeper taste. I'm denfinately goin to try the additional parmesan cheese on top next time I make it.