Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oat AND wheat bran, no processed cereal! From The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan.
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup nonfat milk (or lowfat milk)
- 1⁄4 cup liquid egg substitute (or 2 egg whites, beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup molasses or 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans, raisins, or chopped dried fruit or a combination) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the brans and brown sugar in a medium bowl and mix well, pressing out any lumps of sugar with the back of a spoon. Add the baking powder and mix well.
- Combine the wet ingredients (milk though oil) And stir well, then add wet ingredients to dry mixture and mix well.
- Fold in optional nuts and/or fruit.
- Divide the mixture among 12 muffin cups which have been coated with cooking spray. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove pan from oven, let it rest 5 minutes before removing muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature.