Oat AND wheat bran, no processed cereal! From The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup nonfat milk (or lowfat milk)
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (or 2 egg whites, beaten)
- 1/4 cup molasses or 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans, raisins, or chopped dried fruit or a combination) (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Place the brans and brown sugar in a medium bowl and mix well, pressing out any lumps of sugar with the back of a spoon. Add the baking powder and mix well.
- 3Combine the wet ingredients (milk though oil) And stir well, then add wet ingredients to dry mixture and mix well.
- 4Fold in optional nuts and/or fruit.
- 5Divide the mixture among 12 muffin cups which have been coated with cooking spray. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove pan from oven, let it rest 5 minutes before removing muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Bran Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.8
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.4 mg
- Sodium 83.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 3.3 g