Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup prune puree
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry spreadable fruit
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 12 medium muffin pan cups with paper liners, or spray bottoms only with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- In small bowl, combine orange juice, margarine and egg whites until well blended.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gently stir blueberries into batter.
- Fill muffin cups half full with batter.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon fruit spread in center of each muffin; top with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with additional wheat germ, if desired.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- To freeze, wrap muffins securely in foil or place in freezer bag.
- Seal, label and freeze.
- To reheat frozen muffins, unwrap.
- Microwave on high (100% power) about 30 seconds for each muffin.