1/2 Photos of Double-Bean Pasta With Tomatoes
What's Cooking?'s Note:
On Sundays I cook with weekday lunches in mind, favoring big pots of tasty dishes that reheat well in the microwave at work. This low-fat, whole grain, high-fiber and vegan pasta dish is full of some of my favorite foods - Green beans, chickpeas and pasta. Mmm. Nutritional yeast adds B-12 and other vitamins and a slightly cheesy taste, though folks who love cheese can try parmesan or Romano instead. Bob's Red Mill and Red Star brands of nutritional yeast are both gluten-free. I use a Tinkyada's Gluten-Free Spirals, but you can use regular rotelle / fusilli if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups fusilli (spiral shaped pasta) or 2 cups gluten-free pasta (spiral shaped pasta)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Cook pasta in salted water until done, according to package instructions. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- 2In the same pot, steam green bean pieces until tender but still crisp. Add to colander with pasta.
- 3Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or deep frying pan over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes, dried parsley and dried basil and shallot. Sauté until the shallot has become translucent. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook until vegetables are soft, stirring often. Add tomatoes and garbanzo beans and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in pasta and green beans, nutritional yeast, and balsamic vinegar.
- 5Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double-Bean Pasta With Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.6
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 774.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: