Recipe by gailanng
Banana's inside and out...from Bon Appetit.
Top Review by under12parsecs
This cake is pure and utter gooey goodness! Amazing banana flavor. Nice and sweet. I used dark brown sugar in the topping and a bit of rum extract along with the vanilla in the batter. Mine did get a bit over browned, but a lot of that was my choice of pan (probably too dark). Done in 1 hour exactly. Reviewed for ZWT7.
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- With electric mixer, cream brown sugar and butter. Spread mixture over bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish with 2 inch high sides. Arrange sliced bananas on top of mixture, covering completely. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Mix mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla in another small bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, cream 1 1/4 cups sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each adition. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Pour batter over bananas in pan. Bake until cake pulls away from sides of pan and a pick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Turn cake onto serving plate.