This smooth custard has a hidden chocolate-crunch surprise. Easy to make on the stovetop, it should be made-ahead to give it time to chill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (*see note below)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 20 ounces banana nectar (I find this on the ethnic aisle in my stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 13 -14 gingersnap cookies
- 1 cup granola cereal, banana walnut flavor, divided
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 2 medium bananas (6 inch)
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1* Cooks note: If you don't have/can't find tapioca starch, whiz instant tapioca in the blender or food processor until the beads pulverize.
- 2Combine sugar, tapioca starch, salt and egg yolks, whisking until smooth.
- 3Heat banana nectar over medium-low heat in a small, heavy saucepan, gradually whisking in the egg mixture. Heat until thick and gently bubbling stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 4Whisk egg whites until light and frothy.
- 5Gradually add several tablespoons of the hot nectar and blend in gently. (You don't want it to scramble!).
- 6Return pudding to low heat and fold in the hot egg whites.
- 7Stir until mixture returns to tiny bubbles. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- 8Layer small ginger snaps on the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish (or individual dessert dishes.).
- 9Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the granola to fill the open spaces.
- 10Slice bananas.
- 11Lightly fold whipped cream into cooled pudding.
- 12Spoon 1/2 of the pudding over the cookies and granola, top with the banana slices, sprinkle with the remaining granola and half of the chopped chocolate.
- 13Cover with remaining pudding and garnish with rest of chocolate.
- 14Cover and chill. Serve with a dollop of reduced fat whipped cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Banana Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.3
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 189.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free whipped topping