This smooth custard has a hidden chocolate-crunch surprise. Easy to make on the stovetop, it should be made-ahead to give it time to chill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (*see note below)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 20 ounces banana nectar (I find this on the ethnic aisle in my stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 13 -14 gingersnap cookies
- 1 cup granola cereal, banana walnut flavor, divided
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 2 medium bananas (6 inch)
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1* Cooks note: If you don't have/can't find tapioca starch, whiz instant tapioca in the blender or food processor until the beads pulverize.
- 2Combine sugar, tapioca starch, salt and egg yolks, whisking until smooth.
- 3Heat banana nectar over medium-low heat in a small, heavy saucepan, gradually whisking in the egg mixture. Heat until thick and gently bubbling stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 4Whisk egg whites until light and frothy.
- 5Gradually add several tablespoons of the hot nectar and blend in gently. (You don't want it to scramble!).
- 6Return pudding to low heat and fold in the hot egg whites.
- 7Stir until mixture returns to tiny bubbles. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- 8Layer small ginger snaps on the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish (or individual dessert dishes.).
- 9Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the granola to fill the open spaces.
- 10Slice bananas.
- 11Lightly fold whipped cream into cooled pudding.
- 12Spoon 1/2 of the pudding over the cookies and granola, top with the banana slices, sprinkle with the remaining granola and half of the chopped chocolate.
- 13Cover with remaining pudding and garnish with rest of chocolate.
- 14Cover and chill. Serve with a dollop of reduced fat whipped cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Banana Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.3
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 189.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free whipped topping