Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
For a quick breakfast on the go these combine the classic duo of apples and cheese for a conforting breakfast for 2.
- 2 English muffins, split
- 4 tablespoons apple butter
- 1⁄2 medium apple, cored,quartered and cut into thin slices
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 2 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)
- Toast the English muffins in toaster oven.
- Spread each muffin half with 1 tablespoon apple butter.
- Arrange apple slices on each; drizzle each with 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly on top of the muffins.
- Place in toaster oven and broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Apples and cheddar, does it get any better? I heated the apple a bit before broiling. Very tasty. I'm thinking that next time I'll assemble and not broil the cheese on top, it lost some of the bite that I like from sharp cheese. Thanks for a good breakfast Paula! Made for ZWT8 trip to Great Britain.
Sometimes it's tough to come up with new ways to have fruits and veggies for breakfast. Loved the crunch of the apple! The honey isn't necessary. Apparently in the U.K. these are just called "muffins" not English muffins.
Mmm, this was good! I halved the recipe, and I used a 100-calorie muffin and light butter made with yogurt (Brummell and Brown), because we didn't have apple butter. I just cored and sliced my apple, without quartering it, and put 2 slices on each muffin half. I used a piece of American cheese (we didn't have cheddar), and I kinda did a layer thing on each half - apple slice, 1/4 slice of cheese, apple slice, 1/4 slice of cheese. To melt the cheese, I microwaved it for about 30 seconds. This made the apple a little softer too, and when I drizzled the honey on and tasted it, it was like a baked apple on an english muffin! SO good! I hope you don't mind that I substituted as much as I did, but thanks so much for the new breakfast idea!