Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Apples, Apples, Apples!!! We love apples in this house!! And we love apple cake even more!! Found this one in "CANADIAN LIVING". Applesauce makes this cake moist and low-fat.
- 2 large apples
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples; set aside.
- In bowl, beat sugar with butter until crumbly.
- Beat in egg, yogurt and vanilla.
- Combine flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt; fold into butter mixture alternately with applesauce, making 3 additions of dry and 2 of wet.
- Spoon into lightly greased 9-inch springform pan.
- Arrange apples in overlapping concentric circles on top.
- TOPPING: Combine sugar, water and cinnamon; brush over apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove side of pan; let cool completely.