Recipe by Dona England
From "Baking, From My Home to Yours" Dorie Greenspan. I always like her recipes.
Top Review by Ginger Rose
This is a lovely moist cake - I loved the fact that you grate the apple. I used pear sauce for the apple butter and omitted the raisins but otherwise I followed the recipe as written. Thanks, it tasted great!
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml salt
- 147.89 ml butter, at room temperature
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 236.59 ml store bought apple butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 236.59 ml pecans or 236.59 ml walnuts, chopped
- 118.29 ml plump moist raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Center a rack in the over and preheat to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9-10 inch bundt pan.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, flour through salt.
- Working with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar on medium speed, scraping the bowl as needed, for 3 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth, thick, and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minutes after each addition; you'll have a light fluffy batter.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the apple butter.
- Add the grated apples and mix to completely blend.
- Add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the batter.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the nuts and raisins.
- Turn the batter into the bundt pan and smooth the top of the batter with the spatula.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a thin knife inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- Cool completely before serving.
- The cake taste much better after a day or two.