Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
The original recipe is from the Odense.com site. I love almond paste and thought these were quite tasty and looked like biscotti from a coffee house- not hard to make at all. Next time I might add a little almond extract and even a little lemon zest would be nice but they were gone in a short time just the way the recipe is posted. I doubled the recipe and only made 2 loaves so my biscotti were quite big.
- 1 (7 ounce) box almond paste
- 1⁄2 cup very cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted (I only had sliced almonds and it was fine)
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Grate almond paste and butter into a medium bowl.
- Add sugar, flour, baking powder and salt and mix with fork until crumbly (I used my mixer) and stir in almonds.
- Whisk together egg whites and vanilla and add to mixture (I did not combine them first) and mix until dough holds together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured counter (dough is quite sticky) roll into 2 inch thick log (my roll was wider than 2 inches at this point).
- Cut into 2 pieces; roll each 10 inches long and flatten to 3/4 inches.
- Transfer to ungreased or parchment lined sheets and bake 35 minutes until golden.
- Cool sheets on rack for 10 minutes and then slice into 3/4-inch diagonal slices (I used a serrated knife and it worked well).
- Return to cookie sheet, cut side down and bake 12 minutes: flip and bake 12 minutes more (I would reduce oven temp next time for this step since mine browned quickly and I baked mine a few minutes longer since my biscotti were larger).
- Cool completely on racks and store in air-tight container (I think they looked great in a clear jar on the counter).
Wow! This is the recipe I have been searching for! These are for almond lovers. This is the best biscotti recipe and biscotti I have tried. I did up the vanilla to 1 tsp., add 1 tsp. almond extract, and use smashed whole almonds (because that what I had). I will continue to make them with my changes. The almond paste is a terrific and essential ingredient to these delicious cookies. Thank you for sharing this recipe.