Recipe by janem123
From Southernfoodabout.com. Can be made ahead and refrigerated before baking.
Top Review by L-Burden
This was one of the best recipes I've made in a long time. I cooked it a bit longer than directed since my rice wasn't quite done, but the finished product was AMAZING. I will definitely make this again. Thank you for sharing such a HEALTHY one dish meal!
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups zucchini, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup white rice or 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large sautee pan and saute 1 cup of the onions with the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Combine the vegtables with the cooked chicken, rice, broth, spices, and cheese. Mix and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the remaining cup of onions for 3 minutes, then add the tomatoes and chili powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the topping over the rice and chicken mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour.