From Southernfoodabout.com. Can be made ahead and refrigerated before baking.
Make and share this Dottie's Zucchini, Chicken, and Rice Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups zucchini, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup white rice or 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large sautee pan and saute 1 cup of the onions with the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Combine the vegtables with the cooked chicken, rice, broth, spices, and cheese. Mix and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the remaining cup of onions for 3 minutes, then add the tomatoes and chili powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the topping over the rice and chicken mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour.
I joined food.com specifically to write this review.
This casserole is *awesome*!
My wife made it, with a few modifications: she left out the mushrooms, added summer squash along with the zucchini, and cooked the rice for 20 min before adding it in.
Now, I'm not a fan of summer squash, and zucchini was put on earth to give to neighbors. So I wasn't looking forward to this.
But, being the dutiful husband and parental-example, I tried it. *Damn!* this stuff's *good*!
She made it a second time with fewer vegetables - I think it was better when it was chock-full of vegetables. (wait... that's chock full of *summer squash and zucchini*??? wow.....)
This was one of the best recipes I've made in a long time. I cooked it a bit longer than directed since my rice wasn't quite done, but the finished product was AMAZING. I will definitely make this again. Thank you for sharing such a HEALTHY one dish meal!
I made this for dinner tonight and it was excellent. With my daughter and 3 teenage boys here it didn't last long. Next time I make it I will double the recipe. It' so nice to find a recipe that doesn't use a cream soup, and has so much flavor. Thanks for posting it.