Recipe by HokiesMom
This recipe has been handed down from my mom to me just recently. The original recipe was from my aunt's personal recipe collection. They freeze very well for make ahead treats. This recipe uses oats, chocolate chips and has a nice orange glaze that is poured over the top of the brownies once they are removed from the oven.
Top Review by Debbie R.
The first time I made this, the glaze didn't turn out. I don't know if the sugar is supposed to be regular white sugar and cooked longer or if it is supposed to be confectioners sugar. Anyway, I picked off all the topping that was on it and made the citrus glaze from America's Test Kitchen. This is a fantastic bar when the glaze comes out right.
- 78.07 ml shortening
- 158.51 ml brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 118.29 ml milk
- 170.09 g chocolate chips
- 236.59 ml flour, sifted
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 295.73 ml rolled oats (not instant)
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar (confectioner's)
- 14.78 ml orange juice
- 14.79 ml grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9" round cake pan and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix shortening, brown sugar, and egg together thoroughly.
- Stir in milk and mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together then stir into the batter.
- Add the chocolate chips and the oats and blend well.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- ***Five minutes before brownies are finished baking -- mix the glaze ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until glaze is smooth.
- Take brownies out of the oven and pour glaze over the top immediately.
- Cool completely on a wire rack then cut into pie shaped wedges.