Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Another family favorite by DH's aunt. I have varied the original to make it gluten free so that I can serve it to a dear friend. If you use more of any of the main ingredients, you should consider making more sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, quartered
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch rounds
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 6 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, white
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dredge beef in flour and brown in oil-reserve drippings.
- Put into a 2 quart casserole--the meat, onions, potatoes, carrots, and peas.
- Add the other ingredients to drippings, bring to a boil, pour over beef/vegetables, and stir-try to get the beef so that it not at the top.
- Bake for two and a half hours.
This was quite good. I had 1 lb round steak, so I added an 8 oz pkg of Morningstar "steak" strips. I used 1 vidalia onion, whole wheat flour, 1 C water and 1/2 C sake, and added some cabbage. Forgot the garlic! This is very thick, not a lot of juice at the end. I did add arrowroot to thicken the juice up. After step 5, I cooked it in the crockpot for about 7 hours on low. Lots of leftovers for tomorrow. Thanks WiGal! We Wisconsinites must know our winter comfort dishes! LOL