Recipe by aunty carol
The best apple cake recipe I have come across, this was from delicious Food Magazine. All the family love it. It is a beautiful moist cake and is great on its own or as a pudding with a little cream, custard or ice-cream.
- 225 g butter, softened
- 450 g baking apples (weight, peeled and cored, approx 3 large apples)
- 1 lemon (finely grated zest and juice)
- 225 g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 25 g ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oc/fan 160oc, gas4.
- Grease a deep 24cm (9") springform cake tin and line with parchment paper.
- Peel and core apples and cut into 1cm pieces and toss in lemon juice.
- In a bowl, beat sugar, butter and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little flour with each addition to keep the mixture smooth.
- Sift the remaining flour and the baking powder into the bowl and fold in with the ground almonds. stir in the apple pieces into the mixture.
- Spoon into the tin and level top, sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake for one hour. (skewer should come out clean).