Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This shows a great use of leftovers! Dorothy (Derf) made the recipe I have posted for Mediteranean Chicken and with the leftovers, she came up with this incredible soup. Here's the recipe to make it the way that she did. Thanks, Dorothy, for a new way to enjoy this healthy dish!
- 1 lb butternut squash, diced small
- 1 large bell pepper, diced small (any colour)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb skinless chicken breast half, diced small
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, untrained
- 1⁄3 cup salsa (as hot as you like)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin (more if you like, I used 1/2 tsp)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk (or enough to make the consistency you prefer, we like ours thick.)
- Place all ingredients except rice and milk in crock pot, stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours OR 'til squash is soft.
- Add rice; add milk slowly, enough to reach the consistency you prefer; stirring to mix.
- Using an immersion blender , blend in pot until all chunks are blended. We like a few small pieces left.
- Cover again and cook on high for a further 30 minutes.