Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a pastry that has never failed me, and is very easy to make. Delicious, too.
- 1 lb lard
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Beat the lard in the boiling water and 1 tbsp vinegar.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Stir into the lard mixture.
- Do not overmix.
- Form into a ball and put into fridge until ready to roll out.
- May be frozen.
- When ready to roll out, remove from fridge and make your shells for pies or tarts.
This is one of the best pastries I have ever made. Very easy to 'throw' together and you can keep it in your freezer or fridge til you need it. Comes out very flaky and tender. Thanks for a great recipe, Dorothy.
I have been making this pastry for 45 years now and I love it. Easy, quick & delicious.
I love this recipe! To be fair, this is the only homemade pie crust I've ever tried, but I love that I can just pop this in the freezer and pull it out whenever I need it. I've used it for sweet pies, meat pies, and recently tried it with "Chicken Pot Pie with 2 Crusts" (#111777). It just comes out perfectly every time. It is so easy to work with, even for someone like me who has no idea what she's doing half the time! Thanks DotM!