Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't know who the heck Dorothy is, but this is pretty good stuff. My husband tore this out of the paper,years back,when I was hospitalized,and begged me to make it when I was feeling better- so I did.Thanks, Dorothy, whoever you are!
- 1 lb Italian sausage, skin removed
- 1 green pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut in thin rings
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 16 ounces mostaccioli pasta or 16 ounces penne, cooked about 10 minutes drained and tossed with
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated,divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a large skillet,combine sausage,pepper and onion,cook until browned.
- Stir in sauce and water.
- Bring to a boil,then simmer about 5 minutes.
- Put 1/2 cup of the sauce in a 9x12 baking dish.
- Top with half the pasta and 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- Add remaining 3 cups sauce,remaining pasta and cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes,or until done.
hubby loved this with the italian sausage---reminded him of moms cooking!i do not care for green peppers so i skipped those but added black olives for dh and lots of mushrooms for me!!!good stuff!
homemade sauce is too easy to make to use sauce from a jar with this recipe. try Giada's recipe for marinara sauce with this. its killer good. I also add some pecorino romano and provolone in with the cheeses. it was awesome