Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old time favorite recipe of my family.It is a tart spicy condiment that adds zest to anything you serve it with
- 2 quarts rhubarb, raw & chopped
- 1 quart onion, raw & chopped
- 1 cup vinegar
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 dash clove
- Put the rhubard, onions& vinegar in a pot and boil until soft, about 1/2 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened.
- Place in sterelized pint sealers and seal.
This is exceptiona!. What a wonderful way to use some of that surplus rhubarb. It is so good with chicken, pork or as a condiment with a Sunday brunch. Thankyou Dorothy for a keeper of a recipe Cheers Bergy
I think this is good. I did cut the sugar to 3 cups, and added 2 pkts. of Truvia (stevia), and increased the cinnamon to 1 1/2 tsp..
My grandma's rhubarb is a family tradition and now my mom, Dorothy, has passed it on to me. Mom is no longer able to make this recipe herself, so I make sure that every Christmas she gets her relish. For the rest of the year I usually double the recipe and can the relish in sealed jars. This works just fine. Thanks Mom, Liz Taylor