Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This delicious accompaniment is a specialty of the former food editor of the "Arizona Republic" newspaper. It may be made ahead and refrigerated: add ten minutes to the baking time. I like, sometimes, to use the 7 ounce can of green chilies. Sometimes I also substitute 4 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese for an equal amount of the Jack.
- 1 pint dairy sour cream (2 cups)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooked in salted water
- 1⁄2 cup jack cheese, coarsely grated
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl combine the sour cream, green chilies and salt to taste.
- Layer 1/3 of rice in prepared baking dish. Top with 1/2 of sour cream mixture and 1/2 of cheese. repeat layers, ending with final 1/3 of rice.
- Cover and bake 5 minutes. Sprinkle top of casserole with grated Parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes longer.