Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chicken with Berbere Sauce. The national dish of Ethiopia
Make and share this Doro Wat recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut up
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons oil or 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 6 -8 eggs, hard cooked
- ground black pepper
Berbere (Red Pepper)Sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion, chopped finely
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- Wash the chicken pieces and pat dry. Rub each piece with salt and place in a large bowl. Prepare a marinade of 1 1/2 cups cold water, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup chopped onions, and pour over the chicken. Make sure each piece is completely coated with the marinade. Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature, turning the chicken at least 3 or 4 times.
- Make the Berbere Sauce:.
- In a small saucepan, mix the ginger, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, and fenugreek and roast over low heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir constantly and don't burn. Let cool for 10 minutes, then mix in the onions,kk garlic, a pinch of salt, and the wine and blend them into a paste.
- In a separate saucepan, combine the paprika and red and black pepper and roast for 1-2 minutes over low heat, stirring continuously. DO NOT BURN. Add the water and the spice paste in the saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the butter or oil in a large Dutch oven or stewpot, and saute the remaining chopped onions over moderate heat. Add berbere sauce, garlic, ginger, nutmeg, paprika, cardamom, and a pinch of salt and cook over low heat for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Increase the heat to high, add wine and water, and bring rapidly to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. The pan liquid should then be somewhat thickened. Now reduce heat to simmer.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Add the chicken to the Dutch oven, making sure each piece is completely coated with the sauce. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Now add the eggs (whole) and stir into the sauce. Simmer for 15 more minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Transfer to a serving dish or platter. Grind fresh black pepper over and garnish with the hard cooked eggs.