Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another recipe my mom used to make. Its different, but SO good! Definitely not like a traditional taco salad. Its a nice alternative though!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped lettuce (more or less to your liking, I love lettuce and always add more)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (more or less to your liking, I love tomatoes and always add more)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (more or less to your liking, I love cheese and always add more)
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning (I use El Paso, but any will do)
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans (you cant get these everywhere, so you can also use any brand of chilli beans)
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Catalina dressing
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) bag Doritos
- Fry ground beef and add taco seasoning.
- Mix ground beef and ALL ingredients, except Doritos (unless you don't mind soggy), in a large bowl.
- Mix in Doritos and enjoy!
- Note: I enjoy this nice and cold from the fridge, but you may prefer it warm or room temperature.
It was a huge hit!! My sister and nieces came for a visit and I made this and she asked for the recipe. I had to use fritos as the store didn't have doritos when I was there. Must have had a huge sale!! Anyway, delicious....will make this quite often.
I was given this recipe by a friend, more than 30 years ago, with the exception being that we don't put any ground beef in it, and it is just as tasty. We use drained, rinsed pinto beans instead of the chili beans, and we add a little fresh cilantro and chopped green onion. You can use any flavor Doritos, but don't substitute plain tortilla chips---the flavor just isn't as good. You can even use fat-free Catalina dressing---it tastes the same to us. I don't add the dressing and chips until it is served, that way everything is fresh and crisp.
Really like this. Definitely a five star recipe. I added sliced black olives and sliced avacado. YUM! cep65