Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great with sour cream and rice.
- 4 chicken breasts, stewed, boned & cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (11 ounce) can rotel
- 1 (12 ounce) bag Doritos
- 3⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese
- Saute onions in butter. Add soups & tomatoes.
- Cube Velveeta, add & simmer until it melts.
- Add chicken.
- Crumble Doritos in bottom of casserole (save a few for top of casserole).
- Add chicken mixture and top with remaining Doritos.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
My family do not normally care for casseroles. I just told them this was "Mexican Chicken". My husband and son both enjoyed it and went back for seconds. I also was afraid that with both cream of chicken and cream of mushroom it would be too bland. So added 1/2 can of green chiles to give it a little more kick. I think it was just what it needed. I will definitely be making it again.
This was good. Except I used Sharp cheddar, Hot Rotel tomatoes with Lime and used Olive Oil to soften the oinons. Also, I made my own little mexican chicken and cut it up. It was good for something pretty easy.
5 stars ONLY w/ the noted changes. Replace the butter w/ 1 cup of milk. Add in 1 tsp chili powder, and use 8 ounces of grated sharp cheddar. Add in chopped bell pepper (any colour you like). The reason I chose to leave out the butter is that the vegetables will get soft in the oven, and not to mention milk is a LOT more figure friendly!!