Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
When we lived in Northwestern Ontario, we would go strawberry picking at Ouimet Valley Strawberries. As you left, the good people gave you a sheet of strawberry recipes. This one was originally called Wisconsin Strawberry Pie, but to me it will always remind me of a June day in Dorion. This pie is a summertime treat and easy to make.
- Prepare mashed strawberries.
- In a two-quart saucepan, mix together sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in mashed berries and water.
- Cook mashed berry mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Boil mixture about one minute, stirring all the time. Remove from heat and cool.
- Soften cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese on bottom of pie shell.
- Fill pie shell with whole or halved berries.
- Top with cooked strawberry mixture.
- Chill until set, about four hours or overnight.
So much better than the others IMO because the glaze tastes great and thickens up without gelatin. I also use this glaze for strawberry pizza. The grandkid likes it smothered in whip cream, but I like it straight. I beat the cream cheese with a bit of sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt.