Recipe by Rhonda S.
I remember helping my mom peel beets and this is our favorite recipe. Never met anyone who didn't love them. I usually multiply this recipe by 4 to start and use about 7 pounds of beets. They are best left for 6 weeks before eating but we usually only make it 4.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3 -4 lbs beets
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beets and bring to a boil in a large pot. Boil until fork tender usually about 1 hour for large size beets. Drain into sink and cover with cold water. Skins will easily peel off.
- Cut of top and bottom ends and cut into bite size chunks or slices whichever you prefer.
- Add vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the allspice.
- Pack beets into sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Fill with brine,leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove any air with a wooden skewer by poking it to the bottom of the jar on each side.
- Top up with brine.
- Wipe top of jar and threads and place on seal then ring tightening only finger tight.
- Place in a 250 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove to counter and leave until lids pop to seal.