1 hr 15 mins
Chef #450778's Note:
I remember helping my mom peel beets and this is our favorite recipe. Never met anyone who didn't love them. I usually multiply this recipe by 4 to start and use about 7 pounds of beets. They are best left for 6 weeks before eating but we usually only make it 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse beets and bring to a boil in a large pot. Boil until fork tender usually about 1 hour for large size beets. Drain into sink and cover with cold water. Skins will easily peel off.
- 2Cut of top and bottom ends and cut into bite size chunks or slices whichever you prefer.
- 3Add vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the allspice.
- 4Pack beets into sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- 5Fill with brine,leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- 6Remove any air with a wooden skewer by poking it to the bottom of the jar on each side.
- 7Top up with brine.
- 8Wipe top of jar and threads and place on seal then ring tightening only finger tight.
- 9Place in a 250 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- 10Remove to counter and leave until lids pop to seal.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Doreen's Pickled Beets
Serving Size: 1 (2010 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.6
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4024.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 145.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 129.9 g
- Protein 11.5 g