1/4 Photos of Dorayaki (Sweet Filled Pancakes)
1 hr 30 mins
Legend has it that the first Dorayaki were made when a samurai named Benkei forgot his gong (‘dora’ in Japanese) upon leaving a farmer’s home where he was hiding and the farmer used the gong to fry the pancakes, thus the name Dorayaki. These are really yummy and great for a brunch or snack. The adzuki bean paste is known as anko. Cook time is estimate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For the bean paste:.
- 2Soak adzuki beans in water overnight.
- 3Heat adzuki beans in a pot with one cup of water. When they come to a boil, add two more cups of cold water. When they come to a boil again, drain the beans in a colander.
- 4Return the beans to the pot, add three cups of new water, and cook over high heat. When the beans begin to jump around after the water comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer until the beans are soft, about one hour. If necessary, add water so that the beans are always covered. Fastidiously skim off any foam that appears on the surface.
- 5When the beans are soft enough to break between your fingers, drain them in a colander.
- 6Return the beans to the pot again and mix in the sugar.
- 7Mash the beans continuously over medium heat until almost all the water has evaporated and a paste has formed, about 35 minutes.
- 8Add the salt and stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes more.
- 9Remove from heat and transfer the paste to a container so that it can cool.
- 10The paste may be kept in the refrigerator for three days and then frozen. (Makes 2 cups).
- 11For the pancakes:.
- 12Whisk eggs with sugar and honey in a mixing bowl.
- 13Add sifted flour and baking powder.
- 14Slowly add water while whisking until smooth.
- 15Drop small ladlesful on a lightly oiled fry pan or griddle to make pancakes that are about 3 inches in diameter. When bubbles start to appear, turn over the pancakes and cook briefly on the other side until golden.
- 16Spread about two tablespoons of adzuki bean paste on one pancake, then cover it with another to make a sandwich.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dorayaki (Sweet Filled Pancakes)
Serving Size: 1 (756 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.2
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 91.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 26.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: