Recipe by Miss Fannie
I found this recipe on a blog called Turmeric and Saffron. It is wonderful served with Persian rice and warm pita bread.
Top Review by breezermom
Very easy to make, and tastes great! I increased the amount of turmeric a bit, and served on fresh pita bread. I also sprinkled a little feta cheese on it when serving, and it was delicious!
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In non-stick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil on medium heat, add half of the chopped onions, saute until golden brown.
- Add turmeric and stir well before adding in the garlic.
- Add the pound of ground meat and saute until brown.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the chopped potatoes, the second batch of chopped onions, a cup of water and the tomato paste. Stir well.
- Adjust the seasoning and cook on low heat for an hour. Add more water, if needed.
- Serve with rice or warm pita.