Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe on a blog called Turmeric and Saffron. It is wonderful served with Persian rice and warm pita bread.
- In non-stick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil on medium heat, add half of the chopped onions, saute until golden brown.
- Add turmeric and stir well before adding in the garlic.
- Add the pound of ground meat and saute until brown.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the chopped potatoes, the second batch of chopped onions, a cup of water and the tomato paste. Stir well.
- Adjust the seasoning and cook on low heat for an hour. Add more water, if needed.
- Serve with rice or warm pita.
Very easy to make, and tastes great! I increased the amount of turmeric a bit, and served on fresh pita bread. I also sprinkled a little feta cheese on it when serving, and it was delicious!
Even though I had a bit of a disaster, this turned out delicious. I made half the recipe, and would saute everything in the pan, but then transfer to a saucepan to finish cooking. Mine was done very fast, like 20 minutes, even though I covered the skillet and reduced the heat - the water was gone, and there was some scorching, alas. Yet it was still really good, even a bit scorched! Just imagine how good it will be properly prepared!
This made a very good dinner last night. Easy, tasty and not too bad in the calorie department. Served with saffron rice, a green salad and Honey Biscotti for dunking in Arabian Nights coffee. It all came together to make a very enjoyable meal. Thanks very much for sharing this recipe. :D