Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Although an authentic fish boil is served with melted butter, the simple dill sauce in this recipe is a little healthier. Serve with coleslaw and dinner rolls. Some fish boils also serve corn on the cob boiled in the fish boil.
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves
- 1⁄2 cup celery rib, cut into 3 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 12 small new potatoes
- 6 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white fish fillets
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons oil
- lemon wedge (optional)
- In a stockpot, combine the water, onion, celery, vinegar, bay leaf, tarragon, dill, and fennel. The pot should be not more than half full.
- Bring to a rolling boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or more.
- Place serving plates and plates in a warm oven or near the fire, if outdoors.
- Scrub the potatoes but do not peel them. Add to the pot along with the carrots. Cook at a rolling boil for 15 minutes.
- Divide the fish in 4 portions.Wrap 2 portions in well-washed cheesecloth. Repeat with the other two portions.
- Add to the pot. When the stock returns to a boil, lower heat to simmer and cook fish for 10 minutes.
- Remove the fish and vegetables to the warm platter and keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
- Bring the cooking liquid to a full boil and cook for 2 minutes to reduce it to 2 cups. Strain 2 cups of the liquid into a measuring cup.
- In a blender, grind the oats, dill and paprika to a fine powder. Add theoil and strained liquid. Process for 30 seconds. Transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When the sauce has thickened, taste and season as needed.
- Either pour the sauce over each individual serving of fish and vegetables or place it in a gravy boat and pass it separately.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
- VARIATION: Use about a 2 lb whole, cleaned whitefish and cook it 15 minute.
I have had several whitefish boil dinners in Door County. This recipe is not even close .