1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Although an authentic fish boil is served with melted butter, the simple dill sauce in this recipe is a little healthier. Serve with coleslaw and dinner rolls. Some fish boils also serve corn on the cob boiled in the fish boil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1/2 cup celery rib, cut into 3 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 12 small new potatoes
- 6 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs white fish fillets
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 4 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons oil
- lemon wedge (optional)
- 1In a stockpot, combine the water, onion, celery, vinegar, bay leaf, tarragon, dill, and fennel. The pot should be not more than half full.
- 2Bring to a rolling boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or more.
- 3Place serving plates and plates in a warm oven or near the fire, if outdoors.
- 4Scrub the potatoes but do not peel them. Add to the pot along with the carrots. Cook at a rolling boil for 15 minutes.
- 5Divide the fish in 4 portions.Wrap 2 portions in well-washed cheesecloth. Repeat with the other two portions.
- 6Add to the pot. When the stock returns to a boil, lower heat to simmer and cook fish for 10 minutes.
- 7Remove the fish and vegetables to the warm platter and keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
- 8Bring the cooking liquid to a full boil and cook for 2 minutes to reduce it to 2 cups. Strain 2 cups of the liquid into a measuring cup.
- 9In a blender, grind the oats, dill and paprika to a fine powder. Add theoil and strained liquid. Process for 30 seconds. Transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 10When the sauce has thickened, taste and season as needed.
- 11Either pour the sauce over each individual serving of fish and vegetables or place it in a gravy boat and pass it separately.
- 12Garnish with lemon wedges.
- 13VARIATION: Use about a 2 lb whole, cleaned whitefish and cook it 15 minute.
Browse Our Top Whitefish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Door County Style Fish Boil
Serving Size: 1 (1186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.4
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 114.2 mg
- Sodium 248.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 43.7 g